Im writing this post a week after returning from vacation. I met up with some of my closest college girlfriends in St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. Its was healing to my soul! Due to social distancing because of COVID, I hadn’t seen my girlfriends in a year, seeing them plus vacation is exactly what I needed! I want to share some of the benefits of getaways and some alternatives if you can’t travel very far.
- They are great for relieving stress. The body gets a break from high and increased stress hormones called cortisol which is responsible for high blood pressure, mood swings, irritability, low libido and weight gain.
- Can help improve mental health by removing people and activities associated with stress and anxiety.
- Better quality of sleep.
- Vacations can strengthen bonds with friends and family due to shared experiences.
Getaways don’t have to be expensive or long. If getting on a plane and getting away isn’t an option for you try to give yourself some local quality time!
- Have a staycation in your city or a neighboring one.
- Treat yourself to a decadent lunch followed by a spa day.
- Take a trip to the park and hang out in nature.
- Take time to stay home, sleep in and do whatever the hell you want!